Adirondack Country Homes Realty Inc.

      

Adirondack Country Homes Realty Inc.

   Serving the "Entire" Adirondack Park with offices at:

         Schroon Lake Region (Main Office):  PO 488, 1098 US Route 9, Schroon Lake, NY 12870 * 518.532.7900

         High Peaks Region/Auction Sales:  2918 US Route 9, North Hudson, NY 12855 * 518.532.9323

         Lake Champlain Region:  25 Munsey Way, Elizabethtown NY  12932  * 518.569.8884

         Lake George:  2022 State Route 9, Lake George, NY 12845  *  518.668.2677

         North Country Region:  113 Flynn's Line Road, Burke, NY 12917  * 518.483.4538 

         Speculator Region:  Route 30, Speculator, NY 12164  *  518.569.8884  

         Washington Country Region:  4156 County Route 30, Salem, NY 12865 * 518-584-3294

 

 

 

 

History of Ausable, New York  and the Adirondacks

 

AUSABLE, pronounced “Aw Saw-ble”, a French name signifying river of sand, was taken from Peru, March 29, 1839. It is the southeast corner town in the County, Its surface is nearly level in the east, rolling in the center and hilly in the west. The Au Sable forms nearly the whole of the South boundary, the Little Sable flows northeasterly through the west part. Its soil is generally a light sandy loam, fertile in the east and center, but poor for agricultural purposes in the west. Upon the Au Sable, where it breaks through the Potsdam Sandstone, is a beautiful cascade, known as Birmingham Falls. This cascade is located about two miles below Keeseville, and the romantic and picturesque scenery will well repay the tourist for the trip to see them. Iron ore of an excellent quality is to be found. The principal ore bed now worked is that of Messrs. Arnold & Co., which yields from 1,000 to 1,500 tons annually. Keeseville, named from Oliver and Richard Keese, Sons of John Keese, one of the original proprietors upon the Au Sable, five miles from the Lake, contains seven churches, the Keeseville Academy, two extensive rolling mills, three nail factories, a machine shop, an ax and edge tool factory, a cupola furnace, a horseshoe factory, a mill, two grist mills, and a nail keg factory.

Clintonville, upon the Au Sable, in the west part of the town, was incorporated April 11, 1 1825. The Iron Works located here manufacture over 7,000 tons of iron annually.

New Sweden, further up the Au sable, in the southwest corner of the town, contains two forges. Birmingham Falls, at the head of the rapids, upon Au Sable River is a hamlet. The Union is a hamlet on the line of Peru, and contains two Quaker meeting houses. The first settlers were John Keese and others, about 1795. Edward Everett had located upon the site of the Union in 1786. The town has an area of 22,476 acres.

Referenced by:  Http://history.rays-place.com/

                                                       Return to History